Friday, May 16, 2014

Flooring stage 2 (unfortunately you missed stage 1...)

So for some time now my boyfriend has had his pretty rough looking beige carpets in his house minus the two bedrooms. Now being an allergy sufferer and living in the abode of said boyfriend I'm sure you can understand my desire to rid this house of the carpet! Plus the dog was always at certain spots which made me wonder...

So at Easter weekend the carpets came up and my mom was kind enough to deliver it to her municipal waste disposal centre using up one of her free large item waste disposal opportunities, yay! I didn't take many photos because we procrastinated and left it till Easter Sunday and it had to be done before we left for Easter lunch\dinner. What I have is this:



So much to our surprise everything was hardwood underneath except the hall which looked like this:


So after some price checking and discussion we decided to replace all of the hardwood and the hall with new hardwood.

Pros:
1) don't need to match with expensive 1 3/4" for the hall
2) don't need to deal with sanding, staining and varnishing the floors, can be a weekend job to install with some familial assistance!

Cons:
1) new hardwood is flipping costly! ~800 sqft @ 3$ a sqft = 2800 plus taxes. Damn.

So the plan goes forward but we first need to save some dineros. Now the floor is acceptable and we have area rugs to cover the parts that aren't but the hallnis not. So I found on Pinterest 1$ a sqft hardwood. Seriously? So we went to home depot to do some investigating on our 1$/sqft hall when we saw my father-out-law headingout! We propose our plan and he identified some flaws like the lack of tongue and groove in our strips and countered with enough hardwood to do the hall with what he had left over from a job! Sold. Boyfriend, not so sold until he found that to make it as nice as we'd like it would not be 1$/sqft...

So we ripped up the vinyl tiles and wood it was glued to!!!


This is what we're left with: 

What we're left with is boards that my boyfriend is screwing to the joists to reduce the bane of his life, creaks! See how we both won? I got rid of my alkergy nuissance and he gets rid of his creaky nuissance?


Next is the installation of the new stuff :-)

What kind of surprises have you found when you pulled up flooring? Have you ever pulled up flooring? 

No comments:

Post a Comment