Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Getting Our 2014 Garden Started

Last year my boyfriend and I dug out a 4' x 4' patch in the yard near the deck and he framed it with some boards. We grew seedlings in our kitchen and got all ready for it and planted the seedlings but were underwhelmed with the results. So this year we were a little apprehensive about getting our garden started after the lack of product last year.

I decided last night to get it going for two reasons: I like having a garden, weeding is good for my stress levels, and the neighbours and the fat chance farmstead gave us some seedlings and I needed to get them planted before I somehow killed them.

This is what I started with:
Yup there's a garden in there....

So I pulled up all the weeds and tossed them in the yard for the lawn tractor to eat:

From there I got out my hand cultivator I picked up at Rona yesterday and got to cultivating. That's thirsty work I tell ya! Then I made little mounds for my seedlings around the time it started to pour rain, I wanted to get them in for this rainfall too so they got a good start. And this is my garden as it stands now, cross your fingers we get lots of produce! 

Garden map:
Cherry Tomatoes    Peach Tomatoes   Neighbour Tomatoes   Neighbour Tomatoes
Tomatoes and possibly carrots?   Ground Cherries   Fooled You Peppers   Fooled You Peppers

What's in your garden this year? Did you get an earlier start than me? 


No comments:

Post a Comment