Monday, August 3, 2015

Bad Night Can Bring Good Things

So I had a bad Night Friday. I was tired, my boyfriend had been working the evening shifts testing at work and coming home around 2 am which totally messed up my sleep. To top it off I was trying to increase the amount of cycling I was doing last week and Friday night it all caught up with me.

I stopped at no frills to get the last few ingredients for my dinner and a bag of chips and a container of dip. When I got home I was TIRED. I'd biked a total of 49.5 kms in one week up from 16.5 kms. I sat down to the bag of chips because it didn't need to be "prepared" and I ate. And I ate. And I ate. And I looked in the bag and all that was left was crumbs. I mindlessly ate an entire bag of chips. I felt awful and quickly realized what I'm trying to do isn't working. I felt like crap.

I turned to the internet, youtube to be specific. I arbitrarily searched "Mindful Eating" and what came up was a video by Dr. Melissa May. Honestly I'd been on her website and saw that she mainly catered to her US patrons with only one Canadian doctor posted on her site from Winnipeg so I wrote it off. Well wrote it off until I watched these two talks she gave:


  1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze2W0-nsGy0
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSDaqBwG6e0
They're long but well worth the watch! I honestly cried a little at one point because I felt like she was talking about me. I went to her website and was about to order the Mindful Eating Toolkit until I got to the till and shipping was 33$!!!! This is a 43$ dollar package we're talking about. In Ameribucks. So I trekked on over to amazon.ca and found just the book for 25$ and roughly 4$ shipping. It's not the whole kit but it will do for now. You need to read the reviews for this book, with people not really giving it their all they're reporting losses on the order of like 5 lbs a month. Not a massive drop but clearly sustainable!

I've talked about The Thin Womans Brain before and how as much as I love that book I felt like she walked you up to a cliff and told you to fly but you had no wings right? Well I feel like Dr May takes it so much further. I took from Mindful Eating that I was to eat only until I was full and only when I was hungry otherwise I was BAD. Really it's not BAD to eat when you aren't hungry, the point is to think before you stuff your face mindlessly. You'll see clarification on that in the second video and hopefully more in the books, which I shall report accordingly :)

Have you tried mindful eating? Have you read Eat What You Love Love What You Eat? 

No comments:

Post a Comment